A stream shows you real-time updates of activity as people interact with content, people, and places in the community.
You'll see streams on the News page and on the Activity page of any place. Streams are updated when someone creates a document, replies to a blog post, posts a status update, and so on.
- Content: someone modifies the content item (for example edits, comments on, or replies to it).
- People: someone posts a status update, creates a content item, or comments on a content item.
- Places: someone updates content in the place (for example publishes a new document, edits a blog post, shares content with a place, or comments on a document that lives in the place).
- Tags: someone creates or modifies an item with a tag you're following in the stream, or adds the tag to a content item.
- Here are some ways you can track new activity in your streams:
- Activity Indicators
When there is new activity in your streams, such as likes, comments, edits, or new content, you'll see an indicator dot next to the stream name on your News (Home) page. If you hover over the indicator, you'll see a count of new activity for that stream since you last viewed it.
- Stream Views
When you select a stream, you are viewing all activity, with the Most Recent content listed first. If you want to view only the content you are following in that stream, you can select Top & Trending, and activity will be sorted by the most active content since you last viewed the stream.
- Update lines
As you are scrolling through your stream, you'll see the End of New Updates line, so you'll know when you've seen all the new activity for that stream. Continue scrolling and you'll see the End of Previous Updates line that shows you the updates from last time you checked.
- Here are some streams you can view to follow activity in your community:
- All Activity: Most Recent stream
- You can see all public activity (that you have permission to see) in this stream.
- Custom streams
- You can create your own custom streams that show only the people, places, and content items you select.
- People and Place activity streams
- Each person and place in the community has an activity stream. You can see yours under your profile, and places have a place-specific stream that shows up on place pages.
- News streams
- News streams are those listed to the left of your Following stream. They were created by your community manager to help you see important content. To learn more about how these streams work, check out What is News?