Here's an overview of the main components you'll see in the HDS Community.
The News page functions as a central news page for the HDS Community. It features a variety of streams and tiles designed to bring you the latest news and information.
The top ribbon of the News page organizes community activity into streams such as Following, All Activity, and your own custom streams. From any stream, you can view and interact with activity that flows through your community. To learn more about streams, be sure to read What Are Streams?
You'll see the following streams on the News page by default:
- News (top-level view)
- The News view aggregates and displays only new content posted in your News and Following streams. However, unlike your other streams, the News view does not show content updates and comments in the stream. In addition, content that gets updated or interacted with is not bumped to the top of the News view. So, to repeat, the News view shows only new things. To learn more about the News view, be sure to read What is News?
- Custom News Streams
- These streams are designed by your community manager to bring you the latest news and information. These are the streams listed next to the News stream in the top ribbon. For example, you will see a stream called "Blogs" that features recent blog posts. Note that you can't delete these streams or change the email notifications settings for them (like you can with your own custom streams).
- Following Stream
- This stream shows the activity of people, places, and content that you are following in the HDS Community. If you are new to the community, you might want to browse through to begin following your teammates or other people who interest you. To see who you're following, click . Note that you can't delete this stream, but you can remove any or all items from it.
- Your Custom Streams
- Click New Stream to create a custom stream containing only activity related to the people, places, and items you specify. You can have one custom stream or several. For example, you might create a "My Products" stream to follow everything related to the solutions and products you use at HDS. To learn how to create custom streams, see Create a Custom Stream.
- All Activity: Most Recent Stream
- This stream shows all public activity in the HDS Community that you have permission to see. Watching this can be useful if you are new to the community and want to find people, places, and content to add to your custom streams.
- All Activity: Top & Trending Stream
- This stream shows the most valuable and interesting community activity. What you see here is generating a lot of Likes and comments.
Click the icon next to your avatar in the upper right corner to see your Inbox, which includes the following pages:
- Inbox includes updates to things you've participated in: direct messages, @mentions, and shares, plus any items you pulled in by following them in Inbox. See Tips for Using Inbox for more details.
- Actions reminds you to complete a task or action item that's been assigned to you.
- What Are Streams?
A stream shows you real-time updates of activity as people interact with content, people, and places in the HDS Community.
- Using News
The News page is the best place to explore the full range of what's happening in the community.
- Inbox: Tips
Inbox shows replies, @mentions, messages, Latest Acclaim, and shares—plus any activity you decide needs to show up in your Inbox by following it.