How do I...? (Community FAQs)

Document created by Nick Gable on Jun 20, 2013Last modified by Jill Ross on Mar 19, 2016
Version 35Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

This document is part FAQ, part user guide meant to help navigate some of the common setup and navigation questions that pop up. It's meant to be a more technical complement to the official FAQ (which covers community culture and policies).

This FAQ is a work in progress. We want to make it an all-in-one resource for new users, so let me know in the comments if you have a question you'd like to see in here.

What is the best way to ensure my question gets answered?

The easiest way is to make sure you post in the proper public space or group for your goals. Technical questions should go to the appropriate Solution and Product Forums subspace. If you have a technical question about the community, please post in Getting Started in the Hitachi Vantara Community. If you need additional help please send a private message to Jill Ross or Michelle Groff Burling and we will assist you.

How do I create my own group?

The HDS Community does not currently provide group creation self-service. The community Governance Board reviews new community requests to determine the correct type of group, identify the community/group manager, and other criteria. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact HDSCommunity@hds.com with any further inquiries.

How do I create a status update?

You can tell everyone what you're up to by clicking on 'my dashboard' next to your name in the upper-right corner or by clicking on 'create' and then selecting status update from the dropdown menu.

A standard @ mention can't see individual status updates. To link to one of your statuses you'll need find the link by clicking on the "X time ago" link next to your status. This will take you to the status URL. Copy the link, and then paste it into a document or discussion. Click the link to open a pop-up box with formatting options, and click the bottom option for "Auto Title."

status update links.png

You can then edit the anchor text of the title to whatever you'd like. Voila!

How do I create a poll in a group?

If you are not the owner, you will need to collaborate with the owner/moderator of that space to create the poll for you. Currently the polling feature is only open to everyone in the Off-Topic area.

How do I delete items in my Inbox?

Items in the inbox cannot be permanently deleted, but you can mark them as read. If you want to mark everything as read, use the 'Mark All Read' button at the top of your inbox feed. You can also filter messages by selecting 'Unread Only.'

Think of the inbox as your notifications, as opposed to an actual email inbox - it's there to let you know when there's new activity in your spaces.

Is there a way to reorder streams on the dashboard?

Currently you cannot reorder dashboard streams in Jive 6, although this has been a requested feature and may change in the future.

How do I add a photo to my discussion post?

In order to insert rich media into a post (pictures and other links) you need to use the buttons on the post publishing page; the camera icon for a photo and the ‘A’ with the link image for a hyperlink. If you try to directly paste an image, it may look like it's in the post, but it will not show up when you actually publish the post.

You can also add photos or screenshots to a post as an attachment by clicking the paperclip icon in the lower-right corner of the post box. Lastly, you can drag & drop images directly onto the publishing screen to insert it into your post. Keep in mind this only works for public posts, and not for direct messages.

More info on uploading photos.

How do I embed videos in my posts?

Simply click the 'insert video' button in the publisher and enter either the video URL or the embed code. We support videos from Youtube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion.

Why can't I ask a question/start a discussion in a group?

Some groups have custom permissions for their members to check who can post and comment in that group. If you should have access to a group but do not, contact the group moderator/owner and ask them to give you access.

Why can't I assign tasks or create projects?

We found only a small subset of users wanted or needed the task features; as such, tasks and projects are only turned on in some of our global accounts groups. Unfortunately, we can't hide the task buttons for the rest of the community.

How can I check how my profile looks like to others?

Click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on “Edit profile & privacy” under PERSONAL SETTINGS.  From there click over to 'Privacy Settings' and select an option for 'Preview Your Profile' on the right side of the screen.

view-profile-as-hds-community.png

How do I create my own activity streams?

Activity streams allow you to follow specific people, topics, or specific discussions so you can quickly and easily catch up on important updates. To create a new activity stream go to your Home Dashboard and click '+New Stream' in the left-hand menu. Give your stream a name, and then select people or spaces to follow for that stream.

My post got moved. Why?

We will do our best to move posts to the proper subspace for both ease of navigation, and to ensure posts get seen by the right audience to receive a response. We want you to get the answers you need as much as you do!

How do I register for the Community on my mobile device?

HDS Community registered members can easily access the community on their mobile devices. Non-registered users who try to access the community on a mobile device will have to drill down into the “Activity” view before clicking the Log In button. From there, they will be directed to a desktop view where the option to register will be found.

For the best user experience, we recommend users should register first via their desktop before accessing the community on a mobile device.

How do I access the Community on my mobile device?

Go to https://community.hds.com/mobile

How do I tag posts and documents?

You can tag posts and documents so future users can search for keywords related to the discussion. Tags are separated by a space, and multi-word tags should use an underscore "_" between words. For example, a discussion about hard drives could be tagged with "drive hard_drive disk_drive". If your discussion pertains to a specific product, it's also a good idea to include the product name as a tag.

How do I create my personal blog?

Currently blogs are only available for select users. If you feel you have some knowledge that you would like to share with the community please reach out to any of the community managers and request blogging ability.

How do I find my stuff? and How do I find a draft document or draft blog I've started and saved, but haven't published yet?

Click on your name in the upper right of the screen.  Click on your name again, next to the Welcome.

dashboard.jpg

Then click on Content. content.jpg

Then click on Drafts to see any of your content you have not published yet. Click on the title and you will be presented the option to Publish or continue editing and then publish.

drafts.jpg

How do I set up the "Me in 3" badges in my reputation?

Click on your points total under your name in the upper right of the page. Click "More".  Then click the little down arrow to drag the badge(s) to the Me in 3 area.  All HDS employees are encouraged to display the HDS badge.  All Community Moderators are encouraged to display the 'M' Moderator badge. All users can select the three badges they want to display in this area.  You can even change it over time as you earn new badges that you are proud to display.

reputation meinthree.jpg

How do I delete my account?

To delete your account & profile please email hdscommunity@hds.com with the message title "Delete My Account" and we'll take care of the rest. We're sorry to see you go!

Attachments

Outcomes