Jun 24, 2014
Mobility is a macro trend that is transformative. Mobile devices, mobile workforces, mobility of data on premise, off premise, and across the globe, create many new business opportunities. However mobility also presents new challenges for the IT professionals who are responsible for the protection and governance of the data content.
Hitachi Data Systems has announced major new enhancements to its Hitachi Content Platform that enables tightly integrated control and management of content wherever it is accessed, whether on mobile devices like iPads and smartphones, edge devices in remote offices, on premises workstations and private clouds, or off premises in public clouds from different vendors.
These enhancements enable IT to mobilize content across multiple HCPs, devices, locations, applications and storage resources, giving them full flexibility to support business requirements with data center protection, governance, and efficiency.
Hitachi Content Platform 7.0
Hitachi Content Platform is an object storage solution that allows IT organizations and cloud service providers to store, share, synchronize, protect, preserve, analyze and retrieve file data from a single system. The new enhancements to HCP 7.0 include the following:
- HCP provides mobility among private on premises and public off premises clouds such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, and Hitachi Cloud Services. Since the metadata and policies reside in HCP, IT maintains control and management even if the data resides in a public cloud. The data can be encrypted by HCP, so privacy is ensured and HCP can replicate the data to another private or public cloud to ensure availability.
- This Mobility also ensures that IT is not locked into a particular cloud service. Mobility among private and public clouds (Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Hitachi Cloud Services) supports greater cloud choice, increasing flexibility and balancing Opex and Capex.
- HCP provides an adaptive cloud tiering capability, which enables automatic tiering of HCP data to the most appropriate cloud storage tier by adapting to changes in file metadata such as last access, and days since creation. This allows customers to choose the best storage option that minimizes total cost of ownership, and maximizes data security.
- HCP also provides an Active/Active capability similar to the VSP G1000 for block storage, but on a global scale. The global access topology capability of HCP enables a topology where globally distributed Hitachi Content Platforms are synchronized in a way that allows users and applications to access data from the closest Hitachi Content Platform site for improved collaboration, performance and availability. Reads and writes occur on the most locally available HCP to save bandwidth and improve response times. Cloud solutions – both private and public – can be bridged effectively for more cost-effective data management.
- Customizable service plans enable the creation of trust zones consisting of a group of people, information resources, data systems, and/or networks according to a shared security policy (set of rules governing access to data and services). Service plans also provide alignment with specific business requirements for more automated, targeted and effective service delivery, greater customer satisfaction, and better business results.
- Support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) simplifies address management, adds support for new devices, and makes it easier for providers to integrate with enterprise private clouds or offer customers virtual private cloudservices with a dedicated address space. Dual stack IPv6 enables compliance with customer requirements as well as the ability to seamlessly migrate from IPv4 to IPv6 when convenient to the customer.
Hitachi Data Ingestor Hitachi Data Ingestor (HDI) is an elastic and backup-free cloud on-ramp and filer. HDI, combined with Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) and HCP Anywhere, offers seamlessly scalable and backup-free file service for remote offices, branch offices, and cloud storage users. The enhancements to HDI include the following:
- HDI remote server is an economical appliance that is priced and packaged for organizations that have thousands of remote or branch office locations. Small form factor – no racks, no data center requirements.
- Designed for remote offices with little or no technical resources. HDI remote server provisioning is done remotely through HCP Anywhere. The HDI server is shipped to a remote site, plug in and boot. Centralized configuration is provided via HCP Anywhere and centralized management and reporting is done through HCP Anywhere.
- Files are cached at the remote site, with a copy that is replicated over REST interfaces to the central HCP repository, eliminating the need for backup and providing a low Recovery Time Objective
- The addition of roaming home directories enables a mobile user to securely access content from different remote or branch office locations.
HCP Anywhere Hitachi Content Platform Anywhere (HCP Anywhere) is a fully integrated, on-premises solution for safe, seamless, secure and collaborative file and folder synchronization and sharing – anywhere, on any device including mobile devices like iPhone, iPad, Android, etc
- The Platform support for AW software is expanded to VMware for ease of deployment and cost reduction through the ability to leverage existing infrastructure.
- HCP Anywhere can deploy and manage file services outside the datacenter via HDI remote servers, simplifying the use of file services in remote locations.
Support for mobile devices has been enhanced. Mobile Device Management (MDM) compatibility ensures that MDM and HCP Anywhere can run in parallel without interfering with each other. Qualification has been done with MobileIron. Support for iOS 7.1 and Android 4.4 has been added. Support for Blackberry can be provided through a web browser.
HCP, tightly integrated with HCP Anywhere, and HDI, puts IT directly in control of content mobility anywhere, any place, any device, any cloud, with data center protection, governance, and efficiency. See here for more information on the new features of HCP, HCP Anywhere and HDI.