I thought I'd kick off a new tradition of a year-end review of HDS' developer resources posted throughout 2015. Here are some links to content related to APIs, DevOps, Open Source, and anything else that might be relevant to scripting or development.
- Hitachi Content Platform
- Open Source
- Adapters for Microsoft and VMware
- Tools for Hitachi Enterprise Storage and Tuning Manager
- Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
- Hitachi Universal Compute Platform
- Hitachi Cloud Services
- ...and one more thing
|Probably the biggest news for developers (especially those working with Big Data and analytics) is our acquisition of Pentaho. As a company that was founded from an existing Open Source community, Pentaho is at the opposite end of the spectrum for developer enablement than we are at HDS. We have a lot to learn from Pentaho's developer community, and I'm looking forward to continue picking the brains of our new colleagues.|
Hitachi Content Platform
One of the best content areas for developers is the Developer Network for Hitachi Content Platform, which has been around since we launched the HDS Community in 2013. In addition to the HCP code mentioned below in the Open Source section, a number of great contributions for HCP were posted in 2015:
- James Park updated the HCP REST Developer Guide
- Ab de Kwant posted Using The HCP OpenStack Swift API and updated Using the HCP HS3 API and Searching Namespaces.
- Michael Ratner shared details about the HCP Management API in the HCP v7 MAPI Overview
- 2015-07 iRODS and HCP HS3.docx, posted by Thorsten Simons, explains how to configure iRODS to use HCP as a storage vault.
- Adrien Van Thong shared the HCP as Continuous Integration Build Artifact Storage System (whitepaper) case study, which describes how the HCP Engineering team used the HCP platform to solve the problem of storing build artifacts in a highly-accessible and redundant way.
- librsyncWrapper - A thin Java JNI wrapper around the C librsync library, making it easy to use the librsync library from Java code.
- comet - Custom Object Metadata Enhancement Toolkit
- HCP SDK for Python 3 - HCPsdk provides a simple SDK to access an Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) from Python3. It handles name resolution, multiple sessions spread across all available HCP nodes, persistent connections, and recovery from failing connections.
- HCP Metadata Query Tool - Another HCP tool from Thorsten Simons that enables you to query an Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) based on operations on objects happened in the past. It facilitates the Metadata Query Engine integrated in HCP to list object metadata for all or a subset of the data stored in HCP.
Stay tuned, as we'll be releasing more software as Open Source in 2016, and building out HDS' presence on GitHub.
Adapters for Microsoft and VMware
We published a number of 3rd-party adapters in 2015 for our storage and compute products, including Microsoft applications and VMware vCenter Operations Manager. And yes, I know you shouldn't have to go to a sales rep or a partner for these adapters. I'm working on making these easier to find and obtain...stay tuned. In the meantime, check out these videos:
Hitachi Adapters for Microsoft Applications
Hitachi Storage Adapter for VMware vCenter Operations Manager (vCOps)
Hitachi Unified Compute Platform Management pack for VMware vCenter
In addition to our presence at the OpenStack Summit 2015 - Vancouver, here are a couple blog posts about HDS and OpenStack
Tools for Hitachi Enterprise Storage and Tuning Manager
- Enterprise Offline Viewer - A tool that can view configuration (offline) for Hitachi Enterprise Storage subsystems, extract all data to HTML/CSV/Excel, build raidcom script, horcm, etc.
- rEplication List MakEr - Simple tools to get list of Hitachi replication from Hitachi Enterprise Storage subsystems
- HTnM Report Generator - An automatic Hitachi Report Generator for Tuning Manager software.
Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
Paul Morrissey posted a detailed blog series about the Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator:
- Automating VM Snapshot Backups and Recovering 1TB VMs in seconds with Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
- Application Consistent Backup with Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
- Oracle: Freeze Thaw Quiesce and Unquiesce scripts for Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
- MySQL: Freeze Thaw Quiesce and Unquiesce scripts for Hitachi Virtual Infrastructure Integrator
Hitachi Universal Compute Platform
In June 2015, HDS: Hitachi Data Systems Announces Availability Of Kubernetes On The Hitachi Unified Compute Platform. A few blog posts on Kubernetes:
- Renee Lawrence's Hitachi UCP and Kubernetes for Container-based Application Deployment posting, and
- Hitachi UCP and Kubernetes for Container-based Application Deployment by Greg Knieriemen
Unfortunately, the link to the setup guide in the white paper is broken. Another one I'm working on to get fixed...
UCP Director API
Anil Erduran posted a very informative series on the UCP Director API:
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Overview – Part 1
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Calling Director API – Part 2
- Hands on with UCP Director API – PowerShell Objects – Part 3
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Director API Post Actions – Part 4
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Director API Jobs – Part 5
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Windows Azure Pack Integration – Part 6
- Hands on with UCP Director API – Hypervisor Agnostic Workflows – Part 7
Hitachi Cloud Services
Quite a bit of good information about Hitachi Cloud Services were posted:
Hitachi Cloud Service for Content Archiving Documentation
- Hitachi Cloud Service for Content Archiving User's Guide
- Hitachi Cloud Service for Content Archiving - Using a Namespace
Hitachi Cloud Service for Content Archiving On-Ramps Guides
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Hitachi Data Ingestor (HDI): Single Node
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Hitachi Data Ingestor (HDI): Cluster
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Hitachi NAS (HNAS)
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Hitachi Data Protection Suite
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for CommVault Simpana
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Symantec Enterprise Vault
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Symantec NetBackup
- HDS Cloud Service On-Ramps Guide for Rocket Arkivio Autostor
Using s3fs with Hitachi Cloud Services - Content Archiving
Also, Leland Sindt posted a how-to about usingHitachi Cloud Services - Content Archiving and s3fs
...and one more thing
And of course, a shameless plug for my recent blog posts in the Developer Network Blog:
- Which Developer Conferences Are You Attending in 2016?
- Developer Enablement: Getting Out of Our Own Way
...and a couple on LinkedIn:
- KPIs & Metrics for Developer Programs | Jeff Maaks | LinkedIn
- Release the kraken, er, code! | Jeff Maaks | LinkedIn
Did you learn something new or see anything I missed? If so, drop a comment below and let me know. Oh, and have a safe and Happy New Year! I look forward to providing you more and better developer-oriented resources in 2016!